Monday, January 10, 2011

The Journey Begins

This is the first of many posts about the journey I'm taking with Harry Anderson to India from January 28 to March 1. He's been 19 times since 1968 when he first went with his father. The country has changed some since then and I will be interested in hearing from Harry how the country and its people have fared.

A few facts I know already is India is 80% Hindu and only 2% Christian. While 2.346 million is a big number, it is still relatively small considering the 1.171 billion population. The great commission, "Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you.” (Matthew 28:19-20 ESV), is a great challenge there and many Christians in the U.S. support the ongoing efforts to train local preachers for the work. I look forward to seeing and participating in this work first hand. I'm not much of a writer, but I will do my best to chronicle our adventure.

As of this date, we have secured our tickets, we're waiting for our visa's and planning to ship supplies ahead so they will be on the ground when we arrive. I'm still collecting contributions to pay expenses and give my brethren the opportunity to be part of the mission work. Thanks to Joshua Pappas and Harry for their advise on how to accomplish this part of the work. I have been blessed that many brothers have sought me out to contribute when they heard I was going. The resources will be used wisely to accomplish our mission and secure safe travel.

As the time for departure arrives I will be writing more and experimenting with the blog, learning to post pictures and video. Thanks to all our supporters and for the many prayers already being lifted up for Harry and me.

No comments:

Post a Comment